Great article from Academe Today:
Please pass the word:
“On April 16, 2014, everyone who self-harms, is suicidal, depressed, has anxiety, is unhappy, going through a broken heart, just lost a loved one, etc., draw a semicolon on your wrist. A semicolon represents a sentence the author could’ve ended, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life.”
For more info: http://projectsemicolon.org/index
Posted in Cool stuff, Serious Stuff, World love | Tagged depression, semi-colon project, suicide | Leave a Comment »
I describe myself as a vegetarian. Lacto-ovo-pesco when I wish to be specific.
This does NOT mean I eat only vegetables. This does NOT mean I eat only healthy/organic foods. This does NOT mean I am a rabid PETA member and nauseate at the sight of meat. In truth, I am best described as a junk-food vegetarian.
Just to clarify, here I are some handy definitions:
- Vegetarian - eats a limited amount of animal products (meat)
- Lacto-vegetarians – eat milk/dairy products only
- Ovo-vegetarians – eat eggs only
- Lacto-ovo-vegetarians – eat milk/dairy products and/or eggs
- Pesco vegetarians - eat fish or seafood but avoid all other meat
- Lacto-ovo-pesco-vegetarians – eat milk/dairy products and/or eggs, fish or seafood.*
- Semi-vegetarians – no red meat
- Dietary vegans – do not eat any animal product or animal derivative but may use animals in other commodities.
- Ethical vegans - refuse to use any animal product including dairy products, eggs, honey, wool, leather, cosmetics and in some cases avoid medical procedures that involve animal testing.
- Fruitarian – eats ONLY – fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds (and oils) – that would fall naturally from a plant; that is: foods that can be harvested without killing or harming the plant (this may or may not include grains).
- Raw foodism – eats only uncooked, unprocessed, and often organic foods or wild foods. Typically added to veganism and frutarianism.
will eat, in large quantities, at any time, candy/treats/sweets…even yours.*
Carbovore – will eat, in large quantities, at any time, bread, potatoes, rice, corn, etc. (fresh or processed)…preferably with salt and butter.*
* these are me, although I am really limited on pesco – generic fish sticks and crustaceans mostly.
Posted in Family stuff, Serious Stuff, Stuff I don't understand, Stuff I Love, Things I hate | Leave a Comment »
My daughter has a ‘cow lick’ – right in front, off to the left. It regularly pokes out of her bangs and has to be wrestled into some level of submission with a wet comb and lots of pats.
When I saw this, I immediately shared it with her – and now the two of us giggle every time we fight “the hair the cow licked in the night.”
Posted in Glass Status Report | Leave a Comment »
I’m counting steps on a daily basis now…and some days just don’t match the pedometer count AT ALL…
Posted in Glass Status Report, random thoughts, Silly Stuff | Tagged exercise, funnies | Leave a Comment »
I’ve been exploring math humor lately. Sorry if you don’t get it, but I feel like sharing.
Posted in Silly Stuff | Leave a Comment »
Some pictures just make my heart lighter – this is one, so I share it with you. [From the Daily Squee.]
For some reason, this picture makes me think of my mother.
Posted in Cool stuff, Silly Stuff, Stuff I Love | Leave a Comment »